Emissions testing is required of motor vehicles registered or commuting in Bernalillo County.
All 1979 and newer motor vehicles up to 10,000 lbs GVW must pass an emission test every two years and at change of ownership. Diesel and gas-electric hybrid vehicles are now required to be tested every two years as well and can be tested at any certified Air Care Station.
Emissions testing in Bernalillo County consists of five parts:
- On-Board Diagnostic 2 - Tests vehicle emission control equipment functions
- Tailpipe exhaust analysis - Measures carbon monoxide and hydrocardon emissions
- Pollution control equipment - Verifies equipment installation and connections
- Visible emissions - Checks for tailpipe smoke
- Gas cap pressure - Ensures cap holds tight seal