Information about the Independent Review Office of the Police Oversight Commission.
The Independent Review Office (IRO) of the Police Oversight Commission receives and investigates complaints filed by individuals against the Albuquerque Police Department and its employees for misconduct. Another Mission of the Independent Review Office includes working with the Police Oversight Commission to propose policy changes to the Albuquerque Police Department.
Below is an explanation of Independent Review Office's process to review and investigate complaints filed against the police.
Citizen Police Complaint Process
- A person may file a Complaint against the Albuquerque Police Department, via the internet or in writing. The Complaint must be signed.
- The Complaint must be filed within 90 days of the incident.
- The Independent Review Office will open a case and assign it to an investigator. The assigned investigator will interview witnesses, obtain evidence, and interview the officers involved.
- Once the investigation of the Complaint is completed, the Independent Review Officer will review the Complaint and results of the investigation to determine if there are any violations of Albuquerque Police Department Standard Operating Procedures. Standard Operating Procedures are the Police Department's rules regulating police and employee actions and conduct.
- The Independent Review Officer will draft a letter to the person who filed the Complaint indicting her conclusions and findings.
- The Albuquerque Police Department supervisors, including the Chief of Police, will review the Complaint and the Independent Review Officer's findings and conclusions.
- After the Chief of Police has reviewed the Independent Review Officer's findings, the Police Oversight Commission (POC) will also review the findings and conclusions. The Police Oversight Commission may accept, reject or modify the findings and conclusions.
- Once the Police Oversight Commission completes its review of the findings and conclusions, the Independent Review Officer will mail a letter containing the findings and conclusions to the person who filed the Complaint.
- The person who filed the Complainant may appeal the findings and conclusions to the Police Oversight Commission.
- The Chief of Police has sole authority to impose discipline to an Albuquerque Police Department employee for violations of the Albuquerque Police Department Standard Operating Procedures. The Police Oversight Commission does not impose discipline.
- The Independent Review Office does not conduct criminal investigations.
- Whenever possible the Independent Review Office will seek to mediate a Complaint to best address the concerns contained in the Complaint.
Police Oversight Commission
The Police Oversight Commission (POC) meets monthly in the Vincent E. Griego City Council Chambers in the basement of City Hall, One Civic Plaza, Albuquerque. The POC typically holds meetings on the second Thursday of every month. The POC reviews the IRO's findings regarding individual Citizen Police Complaints, Officer Involved Shootings, and makes policy recommendations to the Albuquerque Police Department. Once it has been approved, the POC publishes the Agenda for its next meeting in the Upcoming Events section of this page.
Television Coverage of the Police Oversight Commission Meeting
Under City law, the monthly meeting of the Police Oversight Commission is video recorded and shown on GovTV, the local government television channel for Albuquerque and Bernalillo County. GovTV provides live coverage of the Police Oversight Commission meeting during its scheduled meeting time. GovTV's website also provides a link to view a copy of the most recent Police Oversight Commission Meeting.
Long Term Planning Committee
The Long Term Planning Committee (LTPC) of the Police Oversight Commission is made up of POC Commissioners and meets monthly, typically on the fourth Thursday of the month. The LTPC meets in the Plaza del Sol Building, 620 Second St. NW, Albuquerque, in the basement, Room 160. The LTPC reviews and considers topics which the POC has referred to the LTPC. Once it has been approved, the LTPC publishes the Agenda for its next meeting in the Upcoming Events section of this page.
Regularly scheduled meeting of the POC. The POC meeting is also shown live on GovTV.
Regularly scheduled meeting of the POC's Long Term Planning Committee