Election of Council President, Vice-President and Committee of the Whole Chair.
Albuquerque, NM - December 3, 2013
Election of Officers
At the December 2 meeting the Council unanimously elected Councilor Ken Sanchez to serve as President. The Council also elected Councilor Trudy Jones as Vice-President and Councilor Dan Lewis as Committee of the Whole Chair.
Duties of the President
The President is responsible for:
- presiding over the Council meetings
- assigning bills and referring bills to the appropriate committee
- preparing the agenda for the Council Meetings
- signing all bills passed by the Council
- appointing Councilors to the different committees (see the list of this year's committee appointments)
Duties of the Vice-President
In the absence of the President, the Vice-President shall preside over the meetings and shall have all of the powers and authority of the president.
The Chair of the Committee of the Whole
The Chair of the Committee of the Whole presides over the Committee of the Whole meetings which is responsible for consideration of the Mayor’s budget and the proposed Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
See the Press Release.